Skip to main content

Business ImmigrationH1-B VisaVisitor Visa

H-1B to B-1/B-2 Travel Visa Breakdown

By February 14, 2024March 22nd, 2024No Comments

As an H-1B visa holder contemplating a transition to a B-1/B-2 travel visa, you are in the right place. At Jeelani Law Firm, we recognize the intricacies of the immigration process and the importance of accurate information. Let’s explore your options for switching from an H-1B visa to a B-1/B-2 travel visa.

Understanding the H-1B Visa

Before taking a closer look at what is involved in the transition process, here is a brief explanation about the H-1B visa generally. The H-1B nonimmigrant visa classification allows U.S. based employers to sponsor highly educated foreign professionals who are seeking employment within the United States. It enables U.S. employers to hire foreign professionals to work in “specialty occupations”, provided applicants hold a university degree and possess skills that benefit U.S. employers.

Transitioning from H-1B to B-1/B-2 Travel Visa

For those wishing to switch from an H-1B visa to a B-1/B-2 travel visa, two primary options are available:

Option 1: Applying for a Change of Status within the U.S. (Form I-539)

The most common path for transitioning from an H-1B visa to a B-1/B-2 visa involves submitting Form I-539, known as the “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.” This application is filed from within the United States, allowing you to remain in the country while awaiting a decision. If approved, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues a new Form I-94 with your updated B-1/B-2 visa status.

Option 2: Applying for a B-1/B-2 Travel Visa from Outside the U.S.

Alternatively, individuals can opt for a less common approach, which requires them to leave the United States. and applying for a travel visa at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your home country. This choice may suit individuals with an expired or expiring H-1B visa or those desiring time in their home country before securing a U.S. travel visa.

For in-depth insights into the travel visa application process, timelines, and requirements, please reach out to request a consultation.

Seeking Legal Assistance

While transitioning from an H-1B visa to a B-1/B-2 travel visa is a viable option, precision and adherence to necessary steps are paramount to avoid complications or application denials. Seeking legal counsel greatly facilitates a smooth transition. At Jeelani Law Firm, we specialize in immigration law and provide expert guidance throughout the process. Whether you are contemplating a transition from an H-1B visa to a B-1/B-2 travel visa, or require legal advice for any of your immigration needs, the Jeelani Law Firm can help.

Jeelani Law Firm, PLC

JEELANI LAW FIRM, PLC is regarded as one of the top immigration law firms in the industry. We handle all immigration matters including family based adjustment of status/green card cases, citizenship filings, representation of businesses and employees when filing L1A/B Petitions, H1B petitions, and Permanent Labor petitions. Our firm also litigates immigration cases dealing with delayed adjudications as well as appellate matters before the U.S. Federal Courts, U.S. Immigration Courts, USCIS and the BIA. Given the complex nature of immigration law, inexperience can lead to many mistakes which may result in delays, denials, and loss of filing fees and valuable time. Contact our office and we will take care of the rest.