Skip to main content

H-1B Visa Attorney

H-1B Visa for Professionals

The H-1B visa allows foreign professionals to come to the U.S. and work in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is one which requires a theoretical and practical application of highly specialized knowledge to fully perform the occupation along with a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific specialty as a minimum requirement.

Which occupations may qualify?

Although there are many other positions which qualify, the following have been generally accepted as qualifying fields for the H-1B:

  • Engineering
  • Education
  • Business Specialties (Marketing, Accounting, etc.)
  • Medicine and Health
  • Mathematics
  • Architecture
  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences
  • Law
  • Theology

Family members of the H1B worker?

The family members (spouse and children under the age of 21) of an H1B worker may come with the employee on an H4 status. As a result of having this status, the family members can live and attend school in the U.S. However, with certain exceptions for H4 spouses that qualify, H4 dependents may generally not accept employment on this status. If they wish to accept employment, they may be able to file for a change of status to H-1B or another employment authorized status while in the U.S.

How long can an employee work on an H-1B?

The H-1B is granted in three-year increments. An H1B worker may work for a total period of 6 years on an H1B. Afterwards, the worker must stay outside the U.S. for a period of one year before returning on an H1B. Although, extensions are available for certain qualifying H1B workers who have a permanent labor petition pending on their behalf for over one year or have an approved labor petition without a current priority date. In this situation, the employee is able to receive continued extensions beyond the 6-year limitation.

H-1B visa filings are very time sensitive and complex. Our firm routinely handles H-1B filings from beginning to end for large, midsize and small operations. We also provide consultations to employees regarding the H-1B visa.

If you have any questions specific to your case, or need more information, call our office to schedule a phone consultation with a Senior Attorney at Jeelani Law Firm.

Practice Areas

Contact us

"*" indicates required fields

Client Reviews — H1-B Visas

  • 5.0 stars
    Posted by SY O
  • “Attorney Jeelani is a pleasant and knowledgeable individual. This is a gem as far as immigration law is concern. He quickly got up to speed and understood the entire problem relating to the case. He is easily accessible by phone and return e-mails promptly. He did all these at a very affordable cost. Those good qualities set him miles apart from many.Attorney Jeelani is miles ahead in terms of professionalism and a breath of fresh air. My wife’s H-1B extension (under a J1 VISA waiver) was mishandled by her employer and they terminated her job on the ground that she lacks the immigration requirements. What a sleazy way to fire somebody. This whole thing happens while my wife still has about 6 weeks to complete her J1 Visa waiver. Non completion would have forced her to go back to her original country of origin.The employer now wanted to re-hire her under unfavorable terms which I found amusing. I see that as a carrot and stick tactics. A refusal of new contract terms will force her to be out of status and result in wasted 3 years of serving her J1 VISA waiver, acceptance of new conditions will lead to more abuse down the line.The employer hired an Attorney for themselves to avoid paying the 90 days penalty for wrongful termination of appointment (which was included in the initial contract they signed with my wife) and violation of immigration law. Attorney Jeelani made all these known to the employer through their Attorney and they show no concern whatsoever. Fortunately, my wife got another job few months later. It was after this that the real immigration nightmare begins. USCIS were grilling my wife/Attorney Jeelani about the non-compliance with the J1 VISA waiver and these lead to two RFEs (Request for Evidence) to which the Attorney handle timely and excellently well. This is where I really respect Attorney Jeelani, because he drafted a memorandum of law backing the case for my wife without implicating the employer with USCIS regarding their immigration violation. This is a rare wisdom considering that most Attorneys’ are quick to exploit the other side weaknesses to make their case. That was a classic example of making your case without burning bridges with others.Attorney Jeelani is blessed with great knowledge of his profession and the wisdom to deal with immigration issues when relating with the client and the USCIS. We are very proud of your work Attorney Jeelani and we wholeheartedly recommend you to anyone with immigration matters. This guy will fight for you and make the case with knowledge and wisdom no matter how hard the case may be. We are impressed! Thank you very much and you are a super lawyer in our books.”
  • 5.0 stars
    Posted by Mrugesha
  • “I had a wonderful and stress-free experience with Jeelani law firm for my H1B renewal. Mr Hashim Jeelani is very attentive, patient and considerate and definitely went above and beyond to answer all my questions and concerns. I would highly recommend their services to anyone looking for an excellent immigration attorney.”