Skip to main content

Green CardStudent Visas

Transitioning from F-1 Student Visa to U.S. Green Card Holder

If you aspire to pursue your studies in the United States, the initial step often involves securing an F-1 student visa. However, if you’re already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa and are contemplating the possibility of becoming a U.S. permanent resident, various avenues are available to explore. In this guide, we outline the options for transitioning from an F-1 student visa to obtaining a U.S. Green Card.

Exploring Your Pathways to Green Card Status
To shift from an F-1 student visa holder to a U.S. Green Card holder, you can consider several options, including self-petitioning for an EB-1 visa, securing employer sponsorship, adjusting your status to a dual-intent visa, pursuing an investor visa, or marrying a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Let’s delve into each of these possibilities:

1. Self-Petitioning for an EB-1 Visa:
After completing your studies in the U.S., you may have acquired expert-level knowledge and proficiency in your field. This expertise could enable you to self-petition for an EB-1 visa, designed for individuals with extraordinary abilities in fields such as science, art, education, business, and athletics. Qualifying for an EB-1 visa necessitates meeting stringent criteria, such as receiving prestigious awards or accomplishing specific milestones in your profession.

2. Obtaining Employer Sponsorship:
If securing an EB-1 visa is not feasible, you may be eligible for an EB-2 or EB-3 visa, both of which require employer sponsorship. The EB-2 visa is suitable for individuals with advanced degrees and significant work experience, as well as those with exceptional abilities. Your employer must submit the necessary forms to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on your behalf. The EB-3 visa is intended for skilled workers, professionals, and other workers in specific job categories, and it also mandates employer sponsorship.

3. National Interest Waiver (EB-2):
Under certain circumstances, individuals can qualify for an EB-2 visa through a national interest waiver. This waiver may apply if your work benefits the U.S. economy, education, healthcare, or other sectors. Your immigration attorney can provide further guidance on how the waiver works and whether it is applicable to your situation.

Navigating the Path to a Green Card:
Transitioning from an F-1 student visa to U.S. Green Card status can be a complex process, and choosing the right path depends on your unique qualifications and circumstances. At Jeelani Law Firm, our immigration experts are here to guide you through this journey. Feel free to reach out for personalized assistance and insight into your specific case.

Jeelani Law Firm, PLC

JEELANI LAW FIRM, PLC is regarded as one of the top immigration law firms in the industry. We handle all immigration matters including family based adjustment of status/green card cases, citizenship filings, representation of businesses and employees when filing L1A/B Petitions, H1B petitions, and Permanent Labor petitions. Our firm also litigates immigration cases dealing with delayed adjudications as well as appellate matters before the U.S. Federal Courts, U.S. Immigration Courts, USCIS and the BIA. Given the complex nature of immigration law, inexperience can lead to many mistakes which may result in delays, denials, and loss of filing fees and valuable time. Contact our office and we will take care of the rest.