Skip to main content
Adjustment of StatusGreen Card

USCIS Allows for TPS Holders to Obtain Green Cards

USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) is allowing for some TPS (Temporary Protected Status) holders to become permanent residents in the United States by adjusting their current status. USCIS recently reinstated an immigration process, that was altered when Trump was in office, and allows TPS holders to be admitted at a U.S. port of entry. The policy involves immigrants who now have TPS who entered the U.S. illegally to travel outside the country, and when they return, they will be inspected and admitted at a U.S. port of entry. In addition, the TPS holder may apply for a green card through family sponsorship if they are married to a U.S. citizen or have a U.S. citizen child that is over twenty-one years old.

In other words, TPS recipients can be approved for Advance Parole. Then, they will depart the U.S. and reenter the country as inspected and admitted. Following this step, they can obtain their green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen or through their U.S. citizen child. This process does not guarantee automatic permanent residency to all TPS holders, but this is a way for those who entered the country without admission to adjust their status.

The current filing fee for this policy is $575. It is important to remember that if a TPS recipient eparts the U.S. without travel approval before hand, it is possible that they may lose their TPS status that they started with, and also the ability to reenter the U.S.